Sepsis. It’s about more than money.
Is your facility doing all it can to save more lives?
What if your hospital could determine, with up to 95% accuracy, the likelihood that incoming patients had sepsis or were likely to acquire sepsis within the facility?
Even with an industry focus, more than 258,000 people die every year from sepsis. Can‘t we do better? With data science we can.
The High Cost of Sepsis
Certainly lives are at stake, but the companion problem is the escalating cost of sepsis (both hospital acquired and cases acquired outside the hospital that drive readmissions and escalating expense). Currently, there are 1.6 million cases of sepsis in the U.S. annually, and this number is on the rise. Take a look at these facts:
- 62% readmitted within 30 days
- 28% mortality rate
- 40% of all ICU costs
The price tag for this epidemic is $20.3 billion annually and growing—with each case costing health systems from $35,000 to in excess of $100,000.
What hospital organizations need is early identification.
The WPC Sepsis Challenge
Getting the Treatment Timing Advantage
Developed by one of the country’s leading data science companies and validated by one of the largest hospital corporations in America, WPC is now ready to share the discovery. With hundreds of variables distilled down to the most impactful, WPC creates an individual algorithm specific to each facility that matures and learns over time.
The platform’s effectiveness is based on both predictive analytics and the flexibility of implementing the notification into the clinical workflow. Hospitals operate differently, even among facilities within the same regional system or super system. Working with the leadership team, nursing staff and physicians, WPC creates the optimal solution proven to save lives and reduce expenses.
The WPC Process
- Uses historical client data to train and customize the model
- Incorporates real-time client data from registration to predict patient’s probability for sepsis
- Notifies healthcare providers that they should suspect sepsis in just-admitted patient
- Providers deploy sepsis bundle or other clinical protocols
The Sepsis Index Process
- Patient arrives at hospital beginning the WPC process
- External data combined with hospital data
- Sepsis algorithms applied
- A patient is identified as septic or has a high risk for sepsis
- Text to change nurse
- Secure email
- Phone call
- Direct feed to EHR
- Hospital staff reviews notification
- Physician initiates treatment path (if needed)
- Care team manages patient with heightened awareness
- Discharge data sent to WPC for post-discharge analysis
- Combine external data with feed from hospital
- Apply proprietary algorithm
- Post-acute providers receive patient at-risk notification
- Readmissions are reduced by addressing sepsis risk proactively
Sepsis Index ROI Calculator
For a review of how the Sepsis Index could impact your facility in terms of savings and lives, please reach out and we’ll get back to you shortly.